CLS After-School Programming
Books, Imagination, and Creativity
Wednesdays - October 11th through December 6th
3:30pm - 5:15pm
After-school Maker Programs at the Charleston Library Society
Join us in the Rabbit Hole on Wednesday afternoons from 3:30-5:15pm for after-school programming featuring books and maker projects that foster imagination and creativity. Children ages 5K -3rd grade will make origami lanterns, light up and illustrate a favorite poem with paper circuits, explore new cultures, experiment with engineering and building techniques, and try exciting approaches to storytelling. This session is perfect for the pre-Cotillion set!
Member pricing: $100 for full session (All 8 programs) or $20 per program.
Nonmember pricing: $150 for full session (All 8 programs and a family membership to CLS) or $25 per program.
Registration must be made at least 24 hours in advance. Each class accommodates a maximum of 10 children.
To purchase individual programs or have questions, please call 843-723-9912 or contact Sarah Young at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Cardboard Inventors-Wednesday, Oct 11th: With selected readings to stimulate creativity and imagination, students will use cardboard and Makedo connectors to create their own robots, rockets, wagons, forts and more.
2. Origami Lanterns-Wednesday, Oct 18th: After exploring the library’s collection of multicultural stories, students will use water, oil and paint to create a folded paper lantern to take home. Please dress for mess or bring a smock!
3. Light Up Poetry-Wednesday, Oct 25th: Students will select a favorite poem from our children’s poetry collection to decorate and light using Chibitronics’ LED paper circuits.
4. Japanese Storytelling-Wednesday, Nov 1st: Reading books that celebrate Asian arts and cultures, students will try their hand at storytelling by building and illustrating a Kamishibai theatre.
5. Maker Machines-Wednesday, Nov 8th: We will read some fun books about wild machines and try our hands at designing and building a Rube Goldberg machine.
6. Skyscraper Challenge-Wednesday, Nov 15th: With stories about famous buildings and their architects, students will form teams to compete in building challenges with Legos and our giant bin of Kapla blocks.
7. Bridge Builders-Wednesday, Nov 29th: Learn about some of America’s most historic and iconic bridges! Students will build their own sturdy bridge and weight test it for strength and durability.
8. Holiday Magic-Wednesday, December 6th: We will read some fun books to get us into the spirit of making and giving. Students will make needle-felted ornaments to give as presents for loved ones and friends